OPINION – – The last two years have been tough for the duchess of sussex.
Now her career as a non-working royal is about to hit another rough patch with the confirmation of a report about Meghan’s allegations of bullying of her staff. never see the light of day.
Buckingham Palace has chosen to keep the finds under wraps, a move that will no doubt fuel further speculation about what exactly happened behind the palace walls.
And there will be one strong person in the line of fire: Meghan Markle.
Just like when Prince Harry and Meghan alleged that a member of the royal family did racist comments about her unborn child, which sparked its own guessing games: was it Prince Charles, Prince William, Princess Anne? One will never know: the decision to keep this report under lock and key will only add to the rumor mill and endless talk about what the Duchess allegedly did.
There are already calls for staff to become whistleblowers if they have complaints (new or old) about “inappropriate” actions taking place inside the royal household, an aide said.
On Thursday, the palace confirmed that the official investigation into the handling of bullying allegations against Meghan will be kept secret and the report will never be published.
Even those who participated in the research will not be told about its findings or the changes that will be made as a result.
The review was carried out by an independent law firm and the decision to keep it secret now raises questions about transparency at the palace, a publicly funded institution, and its duty of care to staff.
Staff who worked for Prince Harry and Meghan during their time as royals were interviewed as part of the investigation and have now been told the report has been concluded and unspecified changes to internal policies have been made.
two senior officials they stated that they had been intimidated by the Duchess of Sussex during her time as a working royal.
Another former employee said he had been “humiliated” and claimed that two staff members had been intimidated.
One attendee stated that it felt “more like cruelty and emotional manipulation, which I guess you could also call bullying.”
Royal sources later claimed that the young staff members were “broken” and brought to tears by Meghan’s behaviour, with one adding: “The worst royal incidents have not come to light. There are some heartbreaking stories to tell.”
Harry and Meghan’s then communications secretary, Jason Knauf, filed the original complaint in October 2018.
He wrote a formal complaint via email to Simon Case, then Prince William’s private secretary and the chief courtier of the household, writing: “I am very concerned that the Duchess has been able to intimidate two PAs outside the household in the past year.” .
Knauf described Meghan’s behavior as “totally unacceptable” and added that “the Duchess seems determined to always have someone in her sights.” [and] I still worry that nothing will be done.”
He also questioned “whether the home’s policy on bullying and harassment applies to principals.”
The email was sent to the human resources department, but the complaint went no further.
At the time the allegations surfaced, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said they were “clearly very concerned”.
The findings of the investigation and any subsequent changes to human resources procedures were expected to be made public in the Sovereign Grant Report, the palace-published review detailing how the Queen and royal family use their annual government pay. by the government, and includes details about personnel.
But there is no mention of bullying in the report, which was released Thursday.
If anyone has a vested interest in the public disclosure of the bullying investigation, it’s Meghan.
In fact, if the Duchess of Sussex has nothing to hide, she should demand its immediate publication, if only to clear her name.
When the allegations surfaced in March 2021, Meghan strongly denied them.
Her lawyers described the claims as a “calculated smear campaign” ahead of her and Prince Harry. interview with oprah which took place a day later.
The duchess’s legal team claimed the media was “being used by Buckingham Palace to peddle a totally false narrative” about Meghan, to overshadow Oprah’s interview.
In the past week, The times – the first publication to report on the claims last year – suggested the findings would not be released to protect the privacy of those involved and limit tensions between the Sussexes and the palace.
The relationship between Prince Harry and Meghan, and the monarchy, has deteriorated significantly since March 2020, when the couple announced their plans to pursue a life of financial freedom and privacy in the United States.
With revelations on primetime television and podcasts, the Sussexes seem to have gone out of their way to speak ill of the institution in which Harry’s relatives remain key players.
Hopes of thawing the cold were raised last month when Harry and Meghan were invited to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, but there was a distinct lack of interaction between Harry and his family – and indeed the Sussexes and the Cambridges, the former Fab Four. .
Harry and Meghan have not shied away from speaking what they say is their truth, so it would be hard to imagine the Duchess wanting to remain silent if she has in fact done nothing wrong when it comes to the way she treated her staff.
Perhaps Harry and Meghan have come to some sort of deal with the palace and have decided, for now, to lay down their arms, so to speak.
Or, maybe this time the situation is bigger than Meghan and she will have no choice but to absorb the decision of the palace, whether she wants to or not.
After all, the responsibility would stop with the Queen. However, at 96 years old, Her Majesty might be growing tired of these latest challenges that her family has caused.
Instead, the monarch could rely heavily on the advice of her eldest son and heir, Prince Charles and Prince William, second in line to the throne after their father.
Both were said to have been instrumental in how Harry and Meghan’s royal exit played out and the deal they and the Queen reached, including the one-year review period. In the end, the Sussexes didn’t get the half-in, half-out approach they had sought, instead giving up their beloved patronages and Harry his military honors.
The Prince of Wales has come a long way to renew himself after the years of Diana-Camilla and any breath of a new scandal is not welcome as the House of Windsor prepares to enter a fresh new era.
And as for Prince William, he knows what awaits him in his role as King and the heavy load putting duty to the Crown has on the family.
When Meghan walked away from her role just two years after marrying into the monarchy, the royal constraints she hoped to leave behind seem to have followed her all the way to California.
No matter how many attempts she makes to free herself from The Firm, the reality is that the Duchess of Sussex remains forever bound to the monarchy through her husband, her children (who remain in the line of succession), and ultimately her short time on it.
Maybe Meghan can find her voice to reveal what really happened, or maybe this is a battle where she’ll have to admit defeat. Or maybe this is what the Duchess has wanted all along: this potentially damaging report on her alleged behavior that she never sees the light of day.
After all, these past few years haven’t quite gone according to plan.
With few public appearances despite her philanthropic ambitions, and her dealings with Netflix and Spotify reportedly in a thin layer, it’s been a rough few years for Meghan.
Queen’s happy appearance silences ‘health fears’