Sports Desk, Amar Ujala, Mumbai
Published by: Swapnil Shashank
Updated to Wednesday, 15 December 2021 06:49 PM IST
Virat said his departure from the T20 captaincy did not stop him. His resignation was happily accepted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Rahul Dravid and Virat Kohli
– Photo: Social Media
Listen to the news
A new controversy has erupted over captaincy in Indian cricket. The controversy that took place after Rohit Sharma was made the captain in the ODI format has taken on a new form. This was followed by Indian Test team captain Virat Kohli having to come forward to make a statement himself. However, he revealed many big things in his response to the media.
Virat said his departure from the T20 captaincy did not stop him. His resignation was happily accepted by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Now the BCCI has responded to the statement made by Kohli. Kohli said he was informed in September that there would be two different captains in limited-overs cricket.
A senior board official said after the Virat press conference that Virat had been warned about two different captains. Meanwhile, Virat himself has announced his resignation from the T20 captaincy.
What did the BCCI official say?
A BCCI official said Virat had discussed the captaincy in September. An attempt was then made to remove him from the T20 captaincy. He warned that there would be two different captains in limited overs cricket if he did not agree. There will be only one captain in the ODIs and T20s.
What did Virat say at the press conference?
At a press conference, Virat refuted BCCI president Sourav Ganguly’s claim that Ganguly was prevented from leaving the T20 captaincy. The board stated my decision was a positive action. Meanwhile, he was reportedly removed from the ODI captaincy an hour and a half before announcing the Test squad for the South Africa tour. The BCCI has not spoken to him in the past.