Published by: Dev Kashyap
Updated to Tuesday, 26 October 2021 06:18 AM IST
Singapore is a leading country for data centers in Southeast Asia. More than 60 percent of the data centers are located on this small island. There are many reasons for this. But, with this decision taken by Singapore, foreign companies are now attracted towards India.
Data protection (symbolic photo)
– Photo: Pixabay
Listen to the news
Singapore is a leading country for data centers in Southeast Asia. More than 60 percent of the data centers are located on this small island. There are many reasons for this. But, with this decision taken by Singapore, foreign companies are now attracted towards India. Many foreign companies have also announced the opening of data centers. In March of this year, the Princeton Digital Group (PDG) in Singapore announced the launch of its data center. The plant will be built in 2022 with a capacity of 48 MW.
In July, Capitalland, Singapore’s largest private property developer, announced the launch of its first data center in India. Its price is around $ 160 million. Global companies such as Microsoft, NTT and Singapore-based ST Telemedia are also setting up their data centers in Noida. Agency
Because Singapore banned it
The data center in Singapore has grown rapidly and currently has 60 data centers. Approved to open a total of 14 data centers of 768 MW in five years by 2020.
- Data centers consume large amounts of electricity due to heavy servers, equipment and cooling systems.
- According to the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of Singapore (MTI), data centers account for seven per cent of total electricity consumption by 2020. Also harmful to the environment.
- Therefore, in order to maintain environmental balance, MTI has banned the opening of new data centers until the end of 2021.
Tamil Nadu is ready to seize this opportunity
- Tamil Nadu is ready with six submarine cables with a bandwidth of 14.8 terabytes per second to take advantage of the temporary ban on opening data centers in Singapore.
- NTT of Japan, PDG and ST Telemedia of Singapore will soon start construction of data centers in Chennai.
- The global market for Internet data centers is growing at a rate of 13.4 percent. It will reach $ 59.3 billion in 2020 and $ 143.4 billion in 2027.
The role of data services in social media popularity
- YouTube’s fastest video uploads in 05 years
- Five years ago, 80,000 hours of video per day were uploaded on YouTube
- 7.20 lakh videos have now been uploaded, which is almost five times more than before
- One billion hours of video are viewed on YouTube every day due to the data service boom